Katie and Ada and I had a great trip through the Southwest earlier this summer, and we’re thinking of doing a similar trip with our SF Bay Area Geology and Natural Sciences Hiking Group. The trip would run nine days, from Saturday, March 26th (early departure) through Sunday, April 3rd (late return), 2016.
Unfortunately, this trip requires a lot of driving (about 2,200 miles), but will include some amazing sites. The three full-day visits (with no real driving) will be Canyonlands and Arches National Parks (near Moab, Utah; one day in each park), and one day at the Grand Canyon.
Along the way, we’ll have short visits to:
- Berlin-Ichthysoraus State Park (in Nevada)
- Great Basin National Park (Nevada, hopefully a tour of the Grand Palace cave).
- A drive through Monument Valley in Navajo Land in Arizona
- Petrified dinosaur tracks in Arizona.
- Overnight at the CSU Desert Studies Center in Zzyzx, CA.